Special needs trusts

Dear Garden State Trust Company:

I have a child with autism, and I’m thinking about the child’s financial future. I’ve heard about special needs trusts, which can provide for financial support without jeopardizing public benefits.  What is the difference between a first-party special needs trust and a third-party special needs trust?—Caring Parent

Dear Caring:

A “first-party” trust is established with the assets of the special needs person.  For example, if someone won substantial damages in a court case for being disabled in an accident, and those funds were placed in a special needs trust for that person, that is a first-party trust.  Assets in a first-party trust may be subject to claims from the government for repayment of, for example, medical expenses incurred by the state for the special needs person.

A “third-party” special needs trust is funded with the assets of someone other than the special needs person.  For example, you might set up such a trust for your autistic child.  Repayment provisions generally are not required for third-party trusts.

Do you have a question concerning wealth management or trusts?  Send your inquiry to  contact@gstrustco.com.

(July 2016)

© 2016 M.A. Co.  All rights reserved.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s